Monday, September 13, 2010

Walking Helps Keep Body and Brain Young

And who doesn't want to stay young?

Reuters recently featured a story about a little known benefit of walking.

In this particular study, there were 2 groups: a group that walked for exercise, and a group that did aerobics. The walking group demonstrated more improvement in memory, attention and other cognitive processes than a group that participated in aerobic activities.

According to Dr. Lynn Millar, an expert with the American College of Sports Medicine, "When we walk we integrate visual input, auditory input, as well as input that's coming from joints and muscles regarding where the foot is, how much force, and things like that." It's not just mindless exercise - you're getting out and interacting with the world at large.

This is actually a core concept of Avant's Elevate Program. One of the exercises in the Elevate Guide is to go for a long run or walk at a place where you will encounter others. Smile at everyone you see, pick up any discarded garbage - in essence, to interact with the world around you. You'll get more out of life if you're more than just an observer. And you'll invigorate your mind while doing the same for your body.

So what are you waiting for, go out and walk!

3 comments:

  1. It's true! I've walked at least 5 days a week for the last 20 years. I'm 65 now and I feel better than I did when I was 45! Go out and walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article - although I'd rather run I find a long walk to be very refreshing at the beginning of every week. Glad to see it's benefitting me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking is a processing activity for me. I'm in the moment but moving across surfaces helps my mind process static thoughts. I also have an amazing view here and can't help picking up trash - it's imbedded from my childhood;thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete